Custom Search

Monday, April 4, 2011

Bench Press Training - First Day Of New Routine

4 April 2011

Started the Ed Coan routine in the hope of kick-starting my lagging bench press. I don't know if it's just me being uncomfortable with high reps, but I can honestly say this is the toughest pressing session I have ever done. I even used a rather conservative one-rep max of 310 lbs.

The first part (regular bench press) was tough, but doable. However, the close-grip bench presses totally floored me and I had to lower the incline press weight to a meager 135 lbs. instead of the 185 the program called for. I have never done any serious incline pressing, so I guess I'll have to catch up with this part of the program.

Regular bench press: warmup, then 210 lbs. x 2 sets x 10

Close-grip bench press: 195 lbs. x 2 sets x 10

Incline bench press: 135 lbs. x 2 sets x 10

This kicked my ass so bad that I just messed around with a few more exercises and called it a day.

Pullups/chinups 6 sets x 5

Low pulley rows 3 sets x 8-10

Olympic bar bicep curls 3 sets

Olympic bar skullcrushers 5 sets

DB hammer curls 3 sets

No comments: