Custom Search

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Partial Lifts for Partial Results?

Instead of moving right into another 12-week bench press training cycle, I decided to mess around with partial lifts (progressive distance training) for a few weeks and see what happens.

There are some partial lift programs floating around teh Interwebz, but I did my own thing. Press off pins at a certain height, work up to a heavy set, then lower the pins in the next workout and see how heavy I can go. Not a lot of structure, so I mostly pushed the weight until I couldn't push it any further. Sometimes I did a back-off set, other times not.

To keep the "groove greased", or whatever, I followed up every partial workout with 1-2 full-ROM sets with a medium heavy weight (e.g. 185x10 on seated presses, 275x10 on bench presses, close and normal grip). Or incline bench presses to follow up partial flat pressing. Supplemented these with isometrics - empty bar pressed into pins for max effort sets of 10-12 seconds, usually below whatever range I was working that day.

I applied this method to the following exercises:

Seated overhead press

Close-grip flat bench press

Regular-grip flat bench press

Squats and deadlifts were trained as normal. I don't have enough weight plates for partial squats/pulls, and I don't care about PRing these that much.

After 4 weeks of gradually working my way down the rack, the full-ROM results were:

Seated overhead press 245 lbs. x 1

Regular-grip flat bench press 375 lbs. x 1 (went up very easily, but 395 lbs. was a no-go)

Squat: 530 lbs. x 3, 550 lbs. x 1 (tied PR)

Deadlift: 505 lbs. x 3 (did not max out as I ran out of time)

I thought I'd set a new squat PR, then went through my training logs and realized I'd already done 550 lbs. for a single. This was mildly disappointing, as I'm sure I could have added an extra 5 lbs.

As much as I hate to judge by the mirror, my shoulders and arms seem noticeably bigger. Most important - I was definitely in less overall pain, even when using ridiculous weights (405x10 and 445x5 on partial bench presses).

So am I 100% sold on progressive distance partial training? Maybe. I feel it might work better as a shock tactic than as regular training. Maybe it's just an irrational resistance toward partials after 20+ years of "normal" lifting. Studies seem to dismiss partial-ROM training, but I've never found exercise studies to align with what works for me.

Either way, who can resist repping 405 lbs. for double digits on the bench?

No comments: