Custom Search

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Heavy Bench Press

2 November 2013


Bench press 310 lbs. x 3s x 6 - last set was a grinder, but overall this was pretty good. Training, sleeping and diet were terrible last week.

Bench press w. SlingShot 330 lbs. x 8 - massive pump from this.

Standing BTN military press 135x8, 145 x 2s x 8

Hammer curl 2s x 10, 1s x 8

Incline bench seated DB curl 3s x 10

I've decided to experiment with the BTN presses and do them three times per week. Standing light sets of 8 on the heavy press day, medium sets of 5 (seated) on light bench press day, work up to a seated heavy triple on the heavy lower body day. They do not seem to affect my recovery much and my bench press numbers keep increasing when I do them regularly.

Also next Saturday is my mock-meet day and I haven't really adjusted my training at all over the past few months, mostly because it has been going so well. So I have decided to adjust my goals for the World Powerlifting Championships of Powerlifting:

Squat - since I'll be doing this lift first, I'll go for a conservative PR in it. Best ever in belt and wraps was 515.
Bench press - a token-ish weight I feel comfortable with. No spotter to hand off the bar: my training buddy won't be around, and since I'll be videoing it I feel awkward asking some random dude, so I'll just have to see how it feels.
Deadlift - I'd like to hit 500 for a PR, but I'll have to see how I feel. The goal is to make at least one attempt in each lift.
Standing OH press - whatever I feel like.

So the plan of action is:

3 November - go to the gym and work up to my "opening" weights. Something like 500-315-455. Again, bench press is relatively light because I have to unrack the bar on my own, and I haven't done much of that.

4 November - upper and lower body "bodybuilding" exercises.

6 November - one set of 5 with 225 lbs. for each of the 3 lifts, 135 for press, go home.

9 November - World Powerlifting Championships of Powerlifting. Weigh-in in the AM, eat, lift in the early afternoon and hopefully set a PR in the squat.

No comments: