Custom Search

Friday, December 5, 2014

Squats and Deadlifts - Crippled Edition

4 December 2014


Today my left hip started hurting for no particular reason, a sharp stabbing pain like someone knifing me way inside the hip. At some point it got so bad I had to walk funny (or funnier than usual).

I've had this kind of pain before (the first time it happened I thought I'd torn something in my hip) and I was pretty sure I knew how to get rid of it, so I foam rolled my left IT band when I got home and found incredibly tight and painful trigger points. I can't get to the gym tomorrow and will be out of town for the weekend, so I went ahead and squatted anyway.

The pain got a lot better, but didn't go away by the time I started squatting. I couldn't push my knees out far enough when squatting, because as soon as I passed a certain depth my hip would seize up. So I had to squat with my knees more forward than usual. Still decided to go through with the planned workout, depth might have been iffy on a couple of reps but the weight was relatively light so I didn't think this was a big deal.

Squat 135x5, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 375x3, 405x3, 435x3 (belt and wraps), 475x3 (B+W)

Deadlift 450 lbs. x 5 singles - no pain here, I was able to hit the planned weight, which is just under 90%.

Hammer curls supersetted with reverse EZ bar curls x 3 sets - didn't want to do more lower body stuff, so did this instead.

BTN press (light) and arms scheduled for tomorrow.


No comments: