Custom Search

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Brokeback Gym

16 January 2015


A couple of days ago I strained my lower back pretty severely moving stuff around my office. It was literally like an explosion of pain right above the piriformis and I thought I wouldn't be able to stand up straight again. Fortunately it subsided quickly, and I don't think it's serious at all (just annoying), but it's still bothering me and I have some sciatic pain.

So like every other time I've been hurt, I waited a couple of days and went back to the gym to do squats and bench presses.

Back squat 225x8, 275x4, 315x3, 365x3, 405x3 (belt + wraps), 455x2, 485x2, 520x2 (all B+W)

There actually wasn't that much pain past the set with 405. I probably cut the set with 520 a little high, not because it hurt but because I bitched out (I kept thinking my left leg would go numb at the bottom of the squat).

Bench press 305 lbs. 3s x 6, SlingShot (R) 340x4

Not bad for zero leg drive.

After the lifting, however, the pain flared up pretty badly and now I'm limping around. I think I'll give the squats and deadlifts a miss for a while and see how it turns out. I'm pretty confident it'll go away after a week's rest, or maybe I'm just kidding myself.

But yeah, at least all those squats and deadlifts over 500 pounds have given me enough functional strength for tasks that untrained geriatric men can do effortlessly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Secret to functional strength is stiff leg good mornings with 50kg and muscle snatches.

Will write book about this with a picture of me muscle snatching a love seat on the cover.

Fatman said...

Will pirate your book off Scribd.