Custom Search

Saturday, December 19, 2015

A Touching Holiday Story

14 December 2015


SlingShot bench press (R) 330 lbs. x 6, 300 lbs. x 2s x 6

Used the Reactive instead of the Original again, only this time it worked.


15 December 2015

Bench press 315 lbs. x 2, 300 lbs. x 2s x 2 - fatigued from pressing the previous day, but this was still easy.

Standing BTN press 135x5, 150 x2s x5

Barbell curl 30 total reps

Dips x 15, x 15, x 12 - not sure what possessed me to do these.


17 December 2015

Paused bench press 275 lbs. x 3, then 265 lbs. 3x3

Very easy. Shoulder/scapula was acting up, possibly due to dips on Tuesday.

Rear delt raise x20, x20, x15

DB curl 4s x 8-10

Pushdowns 3s x AMAP

Cable fly 2s x 8-10


19 December 2015

Squat 425 lbs. x2, x3, x2

Pull 475 lbs. x 3 singles, 455 lbs. x 3 singles

Dropped the weight down so I could get all the reps. For some reason, I really felt these pulls in my upper back, especially between the scaps.

A story for the holidays: there were two guys deadlifting in the rack today. I snickered inwardly and thought about Swede giving them the death look. But then one of them (the tall and skinny one who didn't look like he lifted at all) pulled 500 pounds like it was 315. His form was terrible and inefficient and one could tell that he only deadlifts when he feels like it, as an afterthought to his real workout. I would bet good money that he'd pull 600+ with minimal proper training. Moral of the story - you can program like a tryhard nerd and train until your spine cracks and your hands bleed, but the guy who does half squats and curls in the rack will still out-pull you with minimal effort. This is why the deadlift is like life.

Then I set up to do overhead presses, but some guy was waiting for the rack to do squats. I always feel very guilty about pressing in the rack (to me it's on par with curling in the rack), so I gave it up, in the spirit of the holidays, and went to press in the shitty Crossfit rack. Hit 135x4, then 155x3, then failed 175 twice (not even getting a single rep). Moral of the story - no good deed goes unpunished.

Hope everyone enjoys the holidays. I'm taking a week off, and my wish for the new year is that it will be stronger than 2015, because 2015 sure sucked elephant balls when it came to lifting. But everything else went great, so no complaints overall.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it sure is unfair when you get outlifted, despite your programming/obsessing. good for him, though.

hope you enjoy your week off. also, glad to hear that even though the lifting was suboptimal the rest was good. my goal for next year is to become slightly stronger than I have been this year while doing just enough at work to get by.

Fatman said...

"my goal for next year is to become slightly stronger than I have been this year while doing just enough at work to get by."

This has been my goal year to year, and until 2015 it worked well. Now I just have to get that momentum back.