Custom Search

Monday, July 5, 2021

Landmine Lifts Are the New Plyometrics

First week of programmed gym work is now completed. I started off pretty conservatively and hit all the planned numbers with power to spare. Although the weights are low, the frequency is much higher than before to "grease the groove". E.g. now I bench press three times and overhead press twice per week, where my old program only called for one day each (plus close-grip bench presses on overhead press day). Or I squat "heavy" twice and deadlift once in the same week, where I used to alternate the two. Anyway, I'll keep this up for 3 more weeks, then probably go back to the tried and tested stuff.

Squat 405 lbs. 3s x 5

Bench press 270 lbs. 3s x 5

Standing overhead press 140 lbs. 3s x 5

Deadlift 410 lbs. x 3

Still having shoulder issues while overhead pressing. The pain is getting better, but doesn't seem to be going away. So I'm still taking it pretty easy.

Gym hasn't changed much in the last year and change. I see more bros doing landmine lifts. Remembering the plyometrics craze, I'm glad that T-Nation has decreed that landmine lifts are the new pointless thing that looks cool but doesn't improve strength, athleticism, or muscle mass. At least the bros are not hopping on / falling off boxes with terrible form anymore.

No comments: