Custom Search

Thursday, January 27, 2011

New 5/3/1 Program - Week 3, Day 3

27 January 2011

Had a ton of energy today and possibly overdid things - I still have to deadlift tomorrow. Experimented a bit with partial presses, overhead and from the bench. They feel sort of awkward but once I get the positioning under the bar right I'm positive my strength will improve - I once worked up to 205+ kilos on the bench press lockout when I was waaaaay weaker in the bench press than I am today.

Clean & Overhead Press:

Warmup 1 set
145 lbs x 5
165 lbs x 3
185 lbs x 11 reps (good)

Partial overhead presses - 6" from lockout: worked up to 235 lbs. x 1 which is only 10 lbs. over my best overhead press. It took me a while to find the right position under the bar and I'll keep doing these until I can get at least 300 lbs. - the range of motion is pretty tiny.

Then a quick warmup for bench press partials - 135 x 5, 235 x 3, 255 x 2

Partial bench presses - 4-5" from lockout: hit 295 lbs x 3 pretty easily, but failed at 345 lbs., which is less than my top full-range bench press. Triceps were pretty much dead at this point - I will re-visit this movement on Monday after my regular bench presses. Might try some bottom-position presses as well.

Pullups 7 sets x 5 reps

Dips 5 sets x 10 reps

Seated incline bench DB curls 4 sets

Tricep pushdowns 4 sets

Preacher curl machine 3 sets

One-arm kettlebell presses: 45 lbs. x 5 EA, 55 lbs. x 5 EA, 62 lbs. x 5 EA, 72 lbs. x 3 R, 2 L arm.

Situps on incline abdominal board 4 sets

No comments: