Custom Search

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Exercise In Futility

Further improvements on the injury. I can now foam roll the piriformis, hurts like hell but it makes the pain go away afterwards. I have also added high-volume back raises (bodyweight only) and my back feels a lot better (except now it's a bit sore, so I can't really tell how much of the pain is due to injury and how much to muscle soreness). Will continue to do these next week, try to work up to 100-150 reps per workout or so.

I don't consider myself superstitious, but I was recently reading Lift-Run-Bang's post on goal setting and I realized that the first part (telling people about your goals preventing you from reaching them) has proven eerily true for me. Over the past few years have publicly stated (several times) that one of my goals is to bench press 405, and I have failed to reach this goal year after year. Then recently I listed a 550 squat and deadlift as my goals, and less than a month later I'm barely able to leg press light weights and high squat 185. So from now on, no talking/writing about goals.


16 February 2015

Bench press:

325 lbs. x 5 singles, w. reactive SlingShot 345x3
295 lbs. 3s x 2
265 lbs. 2s x 5

Seated cable row 1s x 10, then 4s x 6 heavy

Seated DB press 4s x 6

Dips 3s x 10

Preacher BB curl 6s x 6-8


17 February 2015

High bar squat to high box 135x10, 185 2s x 10, 205x5 - very little to no pain on these.

Glute-ham raise 3s x 6

Leg press - around 7 sets of 8-10 working up to 5.5 plates per side, then 5 plates x 10

These also felt good, no pain.

Hack squats 2s x 10

Leg curl 3s x 8

Leg extension 3s x 10

Abductor/adductor machine 2 sets each

Glute machine (first time using this) 3s x 8


18 February 2015

Incline bench 225 lbs. x 5, 230 lbs. 3s x 5

Pulldowns 4s x 6, had to take the weight down a bit from last time due to soreness

Cable fly 3s x 8

DB tricep extension 3s x 12

DB concentration curl 6s x 6

EZ bar reverse curl w. FatGripz 4s x 6-8

20 minutes cycling


22 February 2015

Everything felt super light today.

Bench press 290 lbs. 5s x 3

Neutral-grip pullups 8s x 5 - these feel super easy now that I weigh less, so I did more sets.

Seated front press 145 lbs. x 6, 155 lbs. 2s x 6, 1s x 4

These felt really easy too, so I added a short extra set.

Pushdowns 4s x 10-12

Incline bench DB curls 4s x 10

25 minutes cycling

Back complex:

Back raise on glute bench 3s x 15

Kettlebell swings 4s x 10-15

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you are feeling better. Back pain sucks. DL's flare mine up if I'm not careful. I keep seeing folks doing the foam thing, maybe I should try it. I'll have to remember the observation about telling your goals. Sheesh, I just posted mine. Doomed...

Fatman said...

I use the foam roller whenever I get flareups of pain, and it's usually very effective. The gym I go to also has a PVC pipe to roll on when stuff gets really tight. Some folks foam roll before every workout, but I don't see the point in that.