Custom Search

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Leg Jelly

22 June 2015


Mid-shin pull - a few warmup sets, 435x1, then 470 lbs. x 5 singles

This was pretty easy, bar flew up on all but the last couple pulls. Much easier than pulling 455 last two weeks. Who'd have thought, looks like I can pull more weight if I don't pre-exhaust with multiple sets of squat.

I also did the "strip-down complex" while stripping the bar down.

High-bar close stance squats 205x3, 255x3, 270 (5+) x 8 reps

Holy crap the squats were hard. Even 255 felt like it would break my back. I never realized how much work I shift on the glutes and back and hams when squatting - with those muscles effectively out of commission today, quads had to take over, and it wasn't pretty. No wonder my quads have always been underdeveloped.

But I still hit the required reps and now I know what I'll do in the future: squats before pulls while the pulls are light to medium-heavy, then pulls before squats in the last 3-4 weeks of the pull cycle.

Hack squats 3s x 10 - legs were jelly at this point, but I added

Leg extensions 2s x 10, very light.

Bodyweight was just over 205 pounds today. Looks promising. Last week I clocked in at 206 twice, so let's see if I can get down to 200 by the end of summer.

No comments: