Custom Search

Friday, October 10, 2014

Bench Pressing

9 October 2014


Did an upper back complex at the gym at work, biceps curls, some light presses and lateral raises to failure. Normally I wouldn't log this workout, but I was definitely feeling the mid-back exhaustion bench pressing the next day.


10 October 2014


Upper back pre-exhaust - straight arm pulldowns + upright cable rows, 3s x 8

Bench press 310 lbs. 3s x 5, SlingShot 345 x 5

The first two sets of bench press felt so light I was planning to rep out on the third, see if I can get 6 or 7 reps. But then on Rep 4 I slammed the bar into the hooks like a moron and ended up doing an isometric. I managed to finish the set, but a sixth rep would've been impossible.

I might go for a rep-out set with 315 next week. However, upper back is now constantly sore and I feel less stable and strong out of the bottom even with moderate weights. The plan is to gradually cut out the upper back work as the weights get heavier, rest and recover and use my new upper back strength to hit a new bench press PR. I'm sure it'll go well.

Standing BTN press 135x5, 155x5, 165x3, 175x3

BTN pressing with a sore upper back = not win. Weights felt much heavier than they actually were.

Reverse curl 3s x 8

Tricep pushdowns 3s x 10

Seated DB curls 2s x 6-8

No comments: