Custom Search

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Spiked Supplements and Some Pressing

2 June 2015


Combined bench press and overhead press because I won't be able to lift Friday and Saturday.

Bench press 135x5, 185x4, 225x3, 265 (5+) x 12 reps

Cardio bench. Could have gone for 2-3 more, but my triceps were starting to seize up and I had no spotter.

Standing front press 135x4, 165x2, 185x1, 205x1, 215x1, 225 x 4 singles

Failed rep #3, nailed the other four. It was hard, but doable. Also I don't understand how I can OH press more after doing a high-rep set on the bench press than when I do the OH press fresh, as my main lift. But whatever, glad my press is finally moving forward.

Seated cable row 30 total reps, heavy

Preacher curl machine 50 total reps per arm

DB lateral raise 50 total reps

Rope pushdowns 50 total reps

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad all of the lifts are moving forward. I feel ya on the cardio reps. This "10's" block I'm on right now sucks. I can feel the bennies, but hell.

Fatman said...

High-rep squatting sucks more than high-rep benching. Also with the benching I feel like I'm not doing enough work. I feel thrashed right after the working set, then 10 minutes later it's like I haven't done anything.

I've been thinking about doing one max rep set on the "fives" days, resting, then doing the same weight again and aiming for half the reps from the first set. E.g. if my "5+" set is 200 for 10, I'd do a second set at 200 and try getting at least 5. Something similar to what PC recommends in one of his books.

Of course, I'd only do this for the first few cycles, because eventually that "5+" set gets so heavy you're barely squeezing out the requisite 6 reps.

Another option would be to go heavier on the small muscle work. E.g. curls and extensions for 30 total reps instead of 50, with heavier weight.